Friday 10 August 2012

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes


Oh Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Pretending to be cereal. Dazzling us all with your cinnamon sugary swirls. Fortified with vitamins and minerals so that we could convince our parents to let us eat candy for breakfast. Or convince ourselves.

I have a positive relationship with Cinnamon Toast Crunch: I’m positive that it’s the sugariest cereal known to man and I’m positive that I don’t care. So when I saw Your Cup of Cake’s Cinnamon Toast Crunch cupcakes, I knew I had to make my own. I had to. For the sake of humanity.

Side note: I’m a really good speller. I just am. Look: I can spell antidisestablishmentarianism. And I did it without spellcheck. Promise. But in grade five, I was eliminated from the school spelling bee in the second round. Why? One word. Cinnamon. Any other word would have been fine. Inoculate. Ecstasy. Supersede. Definitely. No. Cinnamon. And you would think that would teach me a lesson, right? Wrong. I still want to spell it “cinamon”.

So while I am happy that I get to describe these delicious cupcakes to you, I am sad that I have to relive my grade five embarrassment every time I see that little red line wriggle its way across my page.

But I will describe them. For the sake of humanity. And because I should probably get over it nearly fifteen years later. Probably.




Start off with a quality cup of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. Ok, fine. two cups.




Oh my goodness. I can’t believe I actually eat this for breakfast (as I eat my second bowl for the morning).




Pour it into a resealable bag, add 1 tablespoon of cinnnnnnnamon and crush together.

This is not done yet. You want it to be like dust. Magic Cinnamon Toast Crunch fairy dust.




Make up your vanilla cake according to box instructions.

Does this look cosmic to you? I see two golden yolk suns in a sky of starry white cake constellations.

Is that weird?




Fill the muffin paper 1/3 full of cake mix.




Sprinkle a thin coat of the cinnamon topping on top.




Fill the muffin paper to 2/3 full with cake mix.




And top with more cinnamon topping. Stir lightly with a fork and bake at 350F for 15-20mins.




And you’re done!




Ok, I cheated and used canned frosting.

But I sprinkled more cinnamon fairy dust and topped with a swirly Cinnamon Toast Crunch square. So now it’s pretty.




And really, this is the Baked from a Box blog. Canned frosting kinda comes with the territory. If you want to make your own frosting and not be lazy (or in a huge rush to just eat a cupcake already), I recommend the frosting from my Rice Krispie Cupcakes. Yum.




You should eat these for breakfast. Because let’s be honest. Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal is already basically like eating dessert for breakfast. You might as well do it right.


B.fab and happy baking!

Thank you, again, to Your Cup of Cake for this fantastic idea!

Ingredients
  • vanilla* cake mix + required ingredients 
  • 2 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, plus more for decorative topping 
  • 1 tbs cinnamon 
  • 1 can vanilla frosting or 1 batch buttercream frosting

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F. Combine 2 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch with 1 tbs cinnamon in a resealable bag. Crush completely until mostly a fine powder.

Prepare vanilla cake mix according to package instructions. Fill muffin tins 1/3 full with cake mix. Sprinkle about 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon mixture over the cake mix. Fill with cake mix to 2/3 full and sprinkle again with cinnamon mixture. Swirl lightly with a fork. Bake 15-20mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cover with canned frosting. Sprinkle additional cinnamon mixture and top with a whole square of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Serve immediately.

* Vanilla cake mix can be replaced with yellow or white cake mix + 1 tsp vanilla extract.
** Note: Cinnamon Toast Crunch will get slightly soggy after sitting in frosting overnight. Prepare topping immediately before serving to preserve the crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment